Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
John B. D'Alessandro
Call to Schedule a Consultation Today
Home > Resources

New Jersey Family Law & Real Estate Resources

The following links and resources are provided by the Union Law Offices of John B. D’Alessandro for the benefit of people in Union, Middlesex and Essex counties seeking information on real estate and family law, including child support and domestic violence. We hope these resources are helpful to you. If you need legal advice and representation in a New Jersey divorce or real estate transaction, please contact our office to schedule a consultation with an experienced New Jersey family law and real estate attorney.

Family Law Resources

Determining child support is a complex matter, but you can get a quick estimate using the Child Support Guidelines Calculator, courtesy of the New Jersey Department of Human Services (DHS). You’ll need to know both parents’ gross incomes and how parenting time is being shared in order to get a good estimate.

If your ex-spouse is not following through on child support payments, you may find help at the Federal Office of Child Support Enforcement or Federal Parent Locator Service. You can also visit the New Jersey Child Support website sponsored by DHS, or call the New Jersey Child Support hotline at 1-877-NJKiDS-1 (1-877-655-4371).

Marital property subject to equitable distribution may include a spouse’s pension plan or other employee benefit plan. Before such benefits can be divided, there may have to be a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO). To learn more about QDROs, visit the Employee Benefits Security Administration of the United States Department of Labor or the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation.

For a referral to emergency or non-emergency resources on domestic violence in your area, contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline. If you are concerned your computer use might be monitored, you can call the hotline instead at 1-800-799-SAFE. You may also find helpful information and resources at the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence.

New Jersey Real Estate Resources

The New Jersey Real Estate Commission administers and enforces New Jersey’s real estate licensing law. Use the Licensee Search to find the name and status of a real estate agent, or click here for other consumer inquiries or to file a formal complaint.

Real property transactions are filed and recorded in the county where the property is located. Visit the Essex County Register, Middlesex County Land Records, or Union County Clerk’s Office to conduct title searches and view mortgages, deeds, equity loans, assignments, liens, foreclosures, mortgage cancellations and other documents dealing with real property transactions.

Information on property tax assessment can be found at the websites for the Essex County Tax Board, the Middlesex Tax Assessor, and the Union County Assessors and Collectors. Use these sites to conduct records searches, file tax appeals, request revaluations or reassessments, learn about tax deductions, and more.

Click here for a Homeowner’s Guide to Septic Systems brought to you by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection. Learn about your responsibilities regarding your septic system, septic system dos and don’ts, and helpful information on how to maintain your septic system.

Ordinances for Union County can be found at the website of the Union County Board of Chosen Freeholders.

At the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) website, you can find HUD homes for sale, get help with your utility bills or get home buying assistance.

If your home was damaged by Superstorm Sandy, visit FEMA to apply for disaster assistance.

The AARP website includes an informational page on reverse mortgages.

You can find information on how homeowners’ associations work at the website for the Community Association Institute.

Learn about real estate property managers at the Institute of Real Estate Management, an affiliate of the National Association of REALTORS®.

Contact Form Tab